OPEN TO INTERNAL & EXTERNAL CANDIDATE
Reference No: SVN/MZ10/2021/052
Position Title: Senior Project Assistant (IBM/CEP)
Duty Station: Pemba, Mozambique
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term Graded Contract, 6 (six) months with the possibility of extension.
Report to: IBM/CEP National Project Officer
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 18 November 2021
IOM Mozambique is implementing a Community Engagement and Policing (CEP) projectthat seeks to strengthen community security and stability in communities affected by violence in the Northern Region of Mozambique through police capacity building and community engagement. The objective of the intervention is to contribute to building resilience to violence in communities and increase law enforcement’s positive relationships with communities in Cabo Delgado.
Under the overall supervision of the Programme Officer (IBM/CEP) and direct supervision of the National Project Officer (IBM/CEP), the successful candidate will contribute to the implementation of IOM Mozambique’s projects in the area of Immigration and Border Management (IBM) in especially the context of the project “Strengthening Community Engagement and Policing (CEP) and Integrated Border management (IBM) in Cabo Delgado, Mozambique, and Mtwara, United Republic of Tanzania.”
The project is implemented in both Mozambique and the United Republic of Tanzania and aims to improve community safety and strengthen border security in the areas of focus through technical support to Mozambique’s National Migration Service (SENAMI) and Mozambique’s National Criminal Investigation Service (SERNIC), as well as by supporting cross-border cooperation between Mozambique and Tanzania, in order to contributing to peace and stability in Mozambique and United Republic of Tanzania.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
1. Assist in the planning, coordination, implementation, and monitoring of activities envisaged to support SENAMI and SERNIC, including joint assessments, workshops, and capacity building activities, in line with IOM rules and regulations. Assist the National Programme Officer (IBM/CEP) in the provision of technical inputs and the management/implementation of project activities.
2. Contribute to the implementation, monitoring and evaluation, and reporting of the projects “Strengthening Community Engagement and Policing and Integrated border management in Cabo Delgado, Mozambique and Mtwara, United Republic of Tanzania”.
3. Verify activities are conducted in accordance with the project indicators and aligned with the objectives of the projects; inform the supervisor of any deviations and suggest remedial actions.
4. Provide financial and administrative support on the projects’ implementation.
5. Support coordination of activities between the government and non-government partners, the donor, and beneficiaries for timely and smooth implementation of the project activities.
6. Support and coordinate logistical assistance in organizing relevant protection activities.
7. Organize workshops and capacity building activities, draft notes on relevant meetings, and assist with the development and review of relevant reports.
8. Conduct field/monitoring visits to target areas in coordination with government counterparts and UN partners as applicable.
9. Compile brief and periodical reports on the status of the project activities for internal use and donor reporting.
10. Support the creation and update of monitoring and evaluation tools relevant for the projects.
11. Support the IBM/CEP National Project Officer with CEP-related components of the project.
12. Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University Degree from an accredited institution in International Relations, Political Science, Security Studies, Law, Humanitarian Affairs, Human Rights or other relevant degree with at least four years of relevant work experience, or
- Completed High School degree with at least 6 (six) years in relevant work experience.
- Has experience in project monitoring, support and development activities.
- Experience in the areas of Immigration and Border Management including working with immigration and law enforcement, is considered a strong advantage.
- Experience supporting the organization of capacity building for government stakeholders is an advantage.
- Previous experience with IOM or other international organizations is a distinct advantage.
- Familiarity with general migration issues.
- Organizational and administrative experience.
- Proven ability to establish and maintain strong working relations with relevant Government counterparts, international organizations and private sector entities.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, including Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
- Knowledge of criminal investigations, intelligence-led policing, and border management is an advantage.
Fluency in English and Portuguese both written and spoken is required. Knowledge of local languages spoken in Mozambique is considered an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, verification of Education certificate and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications in ENGLISH, with:
- Cover letter, clearly specify suitability and availability date;
- Detailed curriculum vitae, including historical salary, skype user ID, phone number and minimum three referees (preferably former direct supervisors).
Please submit your application by email to email@example.com, indicating your name and the reference code above [Name, SVN/MZ10/2021/052 – Senior Project Assistant (IBM/CEP)] as subject. The deadline for applications is 18 November 2021.
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Only applicant who meets the above qualification will be considered
Previous applicants are still valid and need not to reapply
From 04.11.2021 to 18.11.2021