OPEN TO INTERNAL & EXTERNAL CANDIDATES
Reference No: SVN/MZ10/2021/041 (REISSUED)
Position Title: Protection Assistant
Duty Station: Beira, Mozambique
Classification: General Service, Grade: G-4
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term Graded Contract, 6 (six) months with the possibility of extension
Report to: Programme Manager (MHPSS/PiHA)
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 9 September 2021
The International Organization for Migration (IOM), the UN Migration Agency is a dynamic and growing inter-governmental organization, with 172 member states. IOM is committed to the principle that “humane and orderly migration benefits migrants and society”. Established in 1951 and now active in over 440 field locations worldwide, IOM works with partners, government and civil society to promote international cooperation to address operational challenges of migration and mobility, assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems, and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people. IOM addresses the migratory phenomenon from an integral and holistic perspective, including links to development, in order to maximize its benefits and minimize its negative effects.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. For the purpose of this vacancy, the following internal candidates who meet the eligibility criteria are considered as first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates on regular or fixed-term contracts should meet the minimum time in post requirement of eighteen months or more at the time of the closing of the SVN.
- The minimum time in post requirement is six months for such internal candidates who are incumbents of a position being advertised or confirmed for discontinuation.
- Internal candidates on short-term contracts should meet the minimum time in post requirement of six months or more at the time of the closing of the SVN.
In addition, all applicants should meet eligibility requirements for languages, education and work experience requirements stipulated in the SVN.
Under the supervision of the Programme Manager (MHPSS/Protection), in close coordination with Head of Sub Office and the Programme Officer (MHPSS/Protection), the successful candidate will contribute to the implementation of IOM Mozambique’s projects in the area of Protection and MHPSS in Emergencies with a focus on the response to displacement caused by the natural disasters in Sofala Province
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Support the implementation of IOM’s MHPSS and protection activities related to the IDP response.
- Conduct protection mapping, protection safety audits and data collection activities under the Integrated Protection-MHPSS Programme to contribute to analysis on the operations and capacities of relevant protection actors;
- Participate in capacity-building for protection service providers, non-protection actors, and awareness raising for camp population, including dissemination of informational materials on the existing referral mechanisms;
- Support and coordinate logistical assistance in organizing relevant protection activities
- Identify, respond, and follow up Individual Protection Assistance (IPA) activities and other individual cases
- Ensure regular liaison and coordination of activities with other IOM field teams such as Health, Shelter, and CCCM to maximize the use of resources and ensure the delivery of integrated services.
- Contribute to organizing and monitoring IOM’s mobile teams (MHPSS and protection) activities, including close coordination with UNDSS for security related aspects activities, as well as capacity building trainings within the project;
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University Degree from an accredited institution in Social Sciences or Social Work, Law, Humanitarian Affairs, Human Rights or other relevant field of study with at least two years of relevant work experience.
- Completed High School Certificate with at least 4 (four) years in relevant work experience
- Has experience in protection of vulnerable people;
- Has experience in working with displaced communities
- Good knowledge of Human Rights and Protection.
- Proven ability to establish and maintain strong working relations with relevant Government counterparts, international organizations and private sector entities.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, including Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
- Knowledge of Counter-Trafficking and MHPSS is an advantage
Fluency in English and Portuguese both oral and written. Knowledge of local languages is an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, verification of Education certificate and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications in ENGLISH, with:
- Cover letter, clearly specify suitability and availability date;
- Detailed curriculum vitae, including historical salary, skype user ID, phone number and minimum three referees (preferably former direct supervisors).
Please submit your application by email to [email protected], indicating your name and the reference code above [Name, SVN/MZ10/2021/041 – Protection Assistant] as subject. The deadline for applications is 9 September 2021.
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Only applicant who meets the above qualification will be considered. Previous applicants are still valid and need to reapply.
From 26.08.2021 to 09.09.2021