OPEN TO INTERNAL & EXTERNAL CANDIDATE
Reference No: SVN/MZ10/2021/064
Position Title: Project Assistant (Migration Health - SRHR)
Duty Station: Maputo, Mozambique
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term Graded Contract, 6 (six) months with the possibility of extension.
Report to: National Programme Officer (Migration Health)
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 01 December 2021
The International Organization for Migration (IOM), the UN Migration Agency is a dynamic and growing inter-governmental organization, with 172 member states. IOM is committed to the principle that “humane and orderly migration benefits migrants and society”. Established in 1951 and now active in over 440 field locations worldwide, IOM works with partners, government, and civil society to promote international cooperation to address operational challenges of migration and mobility, assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems, and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people. IOM addresses the migratory phenomenon from an integral and holistic perspective, including links to development, to maximize its benefits and minimize its negative effects.
Within its Migration Health Division (MHD), IOM delivers and promotes comprehensive, preventive, and curative health programmes which are beneficial, accessible, and equitable for migrants and mobile populations. Bridging the needs of both migrants and IOM’s Member States, MHD contributes towards the physical, mental and social well-being of migrants, enabling them and host communities to achieve social and economic development.
Since 2016, IOM has been implementing the regional project funded by the Kingdom of Netherlands, the Sexual and Reproductive Health Rights SRHR/HIV Knows No Borders (SRHR/HIV KNB). . SRHR-HIV Knows No Borders (KNB II) seeks to respond to the SRHR and HIV challenges within the migration context in Southern Africa with specific geographic focus on Eswatini, Malawi, Lesotho, Mozambique, South Africa, and Zambia. The project is currently implemented in Mozambique in three locations: Maputo province (Ressano Garcia, Moamba), Tete province, Cabo Delgado province, in partnership with Save the Children International (SCI) and in collaboration with Ministries of Health, UN-agencies like UNDP and UNFPA, Local Community Organisations and networks, Religious and other Community Leaders.
This project places a strong emphasis on policy advocacy, migrant and youth participation and empowerment, demand creation for SRH-HIV services, knowledge generation and learning and tackling the root causes of poor SRHR-HIV outcomes among target populations, integration of Mental health and psychosocial support (MHPSS) services, as well as protection through implementation of skills to live approaches in partnership with Young Africa International who provides vocational training.
Under the overall supervision of the Migration Health Programme Manager, and direct supervision by the National Programme Officer, the incumbent will assist in the implementation of the KNB project and related MHD programme, through providing administrative, operational and logistical support to the Migration Health Department in Maputo.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Provide administrative, operational and logistical support to the National Programme Officer, to organize and implement IOM’s KNB II project activities across geographical locations.
- In close coordination with National Liaison Officer, assist in the coordination and liaison with Government institutions and partners by preparing letters, organizing meetings, and maintaining an updated stakeholders contact list.
- Assist in reviewing the KNB II Implementing Partners quarterly reports, monitor the performance indicators, provide inputs and coordinate timely financial disbursements.
- Be responsible for the processing, tracking with relevant units and execution of Purchase Requisition Forms (PRFs) I support of activities’ implementation.
- Work closely with IOM Procurement and Logistics unit to ensure smooth and timely procurement, transportation and delivery of goods and services for MHD programme.
- Work closely with IOM Finance unit in the submission, processing and tracking of Request for Payments (RFPs) to facilitate timely payments to Government and non-Government partners and suppliers.
- Provide assistance in prompt and accurate financial tracking, financial record keeping and financial reporting for all project activities and ensure that all financial records are in accordance with IOM standards. This includes weekly PRF, payment, PO tracking, financial report, commitment tracking report, daily operational balance, tracking sheet, and report on overspent and underspent items, among others.
- Assist MHD programme staff in ensuring that all administrative procedures are followed in compliance with IOM rules and regulations, and alert the Program Officer and/or Program Manager on shortfalls.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University Degree in social sciences with at least 3 (three) years of relevant work experience, or
- Completed High School degree with at least 5 (five) years in relevant work experience.
- Professional experience implementing and administering health and/or development projects at field level.
- Previous experience in implementation and monitoring of community-based health project, and/or project working with youth.
- Experience working in coordination with local health authorities and partners, including working with decentralised health care system at the community and district levels.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver quality assignments under tight timeframes.
- Ability to work independently, to follow leads and to be innovative in obtaining and triangulating information from a variety of sources.
- Demonstrated ability to work with budgets and experience in logistics and/or administration.
- Previous experience with IOM or other UN agency or acknowledged health NGO is a distinct advantage.
- Good communication and teamwork skills, ability to work harmoniously with various units across the organization;
- Personal Commitment and high level of integrity;
- Strong attention to details and Excellent organization skills;
- Good writing skills in Portuguese, incl. capacity to write official letters with good quality;
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously in a team with colleagues from various cultures and professional backgrounds;
- Good computer literacy with Microsoft Office package, especially MS Excel
Fluency in English and Portuguese is required (oral and written). Local languages of Maputo, Cabo Delgado and Tete province.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, verification of Education certificate and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications in ENGLISH, with:
- Cover letter, clearly specify suitability and availability date;
- Detailed curriculum vitae, including historical salary, skype user ID, phone number and minimum three referees (preferably former direct supervisors).
Please submit your application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating your name and the reference code above [Name, SVN/MZ10/2021/064 – Project Assistant (Migration Health – SRHR)] as subject. The deadline for applications is 01 December 2021
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Only applicant who meets the above qualification will be considered
From 17.11.2021 to 01.12.2021