OPEN TO INTERNAL & EXTERNAL CANDIDATES
Reference No: SVN/MZ10/2021/046
Position Title: Human Resources Assistant
Duty Station: Pemba, Mozambique
Classification: General Service, Grade: G-5
Type of Appointment: Special Short Term Graded Contract, 6 (six) months with the possibility of extension
Report to: Resources Management fficer
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 09 September 2021
The International Organization for Migration (IOM), the UN Migration Agency is a dynamic and growing inter-governmental organization, with 172 member states. IOM is committed to the principle that “humane and orderly migration benefits migrants and society”. Established in 1951 and now active in over 440 field locations worldwide, IOM works with partners, government and civil society to promote international cooperation to address operational challenges of migration and mobility, assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems, and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people. IOM addresses the migratory phenomenon from an integral and holistic perspective, including links to development, in order to maximize its benefits and minimize its negative effects.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. For the purpose of this vacancy, the following internal candidates who meet the eligibility criteria are considered as first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates on regular or fixed-term contracts should meet the minimum time in post requirement of eighteen months or more at the time of the closing of the SVN.
- The minimum time in post requirement is six months for such internal candidates who are incumbents of a position being advertised or confirmed for discontinuation.
- Internal candidates on short-term contracts should meet the minimum time in post requirement of six months or more at the time of the closing of the SVN.
In addition, all applicants should meet eligibility requirements for languages, education and work experience requirements stipulated in the SVN.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Resources Management Officer (RMO), under technical supervision of HR Officer and the overall supervision of the Head of Sub Office, the incumbent will provide specialized assistance in the human resources administration and be responsible and accountable for assisting the operational management of human resource in IOM Mission in Pemba. S/he will be working in close coordination with other Human Resources team member and other staffs and relevant Units in the mission.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Provide assistance in recruitment activities of national staffs, consultants and interns, covering the end-to-end recruitment process from advising the managers in preparation of Post Description, request for grading position, up to the on-board process for the new-hiring personnel are completed.
- Monitor and prepare all personnel documents relating to the employment, promotion and separation of staff members. This includes update and maintain the personnel data of national staff and consultants in HR Information System (IOM PRISM HR) for hiring and extension process, back up assistance to process promotion/upgrade request, and process of staff’s separation formalities.
- Handle administration and process of national staffs’ benefits, i.e. family allowance, Medical Service Plan (MSP), Compensation Plan (CP) and United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund (UNJSPF), in coordination with Panama Administrative Centre, IOM Pension Administrator, OHU, etc.), and ensure that they comply with the updated instructions and IOM Unified Staff Regulations and Rules (USRR)/
- Monitor the staff’s attendance/leave/working hours record.
- Liaise with Third Party Contractor/TPC (CTG) for outsourcing staff and responsible for their monthly payroll preparation, verification, calculation and administration. Ensure that the salary deduction, staff’s benefit and entitlement are correct and duly supported by valid documents and ensure the payment is done on timely manner.
- Coordination and liaise of medical clearance of new staff member and consultant with Occupational Health Unit (OHU) PAC.
- Keep record of activities serviced by the Human Resources unit, i.e. establish and maintain personnel files (contracts, personnel administration, personal data, supporting documents, etc)
- Assist as focal point to review and monitor separation clearance of national staff, coordinate with PAC-Panama Administrative Centre, OIG-Office of Inspector General and MAC-Pension Fund.
- Prepare, maintain and submit the updated UNDSS staff list on timely manner.
- Perform internal control check list to HR activities regularly, as well as maintain and update Staff Database and monthly Staff Count report.
- Participate in the administration and implementation of HR strategies and policies in compliance with IOM rules, regulations, policies, procedures and strategies. Provide inputs and actively give solutions toward Mission’s activities and goals in HR matters.
- Participate in the Staff Development and Learning activities, including arrange and conduct new staff orientation activities, facilitate HR workshop, and provide technical guidance to staff, managers on HR related matters and Staff Evaluation System (SES) process.
- Represent HR in the staff and management meeting in Pemba Sub Office.
- Assist in analyzing and resolving sensitive cases by collating background information, preparing summaries and sharing best practices.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University Degree in Business Administration or Human Resources with minimum 3 (three) years of relevant experience in this field; or
- Minimum Completed Senior High School degree with at least five years of relevant work experience
- Previous experience in an administration unit at an international organization is an advantage.
- Have varied and in-depth practical experience in human resources and administration management, preferably in the UN system or international environment.
- Has Previous experience working and coordinate with third party contractor is an advantage
- Good knowledge of HR rules, regulations, policies and procedures
- Good knowledge and experience in HR system (especially PRISM/SAP)
- Proficient in computer application and MS Office, specifically EXCEL;
- Good communication and coordination skills;
- Personal commitment, efficiency, flexibility, drive for results, respect for diversity and creative thinking;
- Ability to lead, coach and work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds
Fluency in English and Portuguese both written and spoken is required.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, verification of Education certificate and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications in ENGLISH, with:
- Cover letter, clearly specify suitability and availability date;
- Detailed curriculum vitae, including historical salary, skype user ID, phone number and minimum three referees (preferably former direct supervisors).
Please submit your application by email to [email protected], indicating your name and the reference code above [Name, SVN/MZ10/2021/046 – HR Assistant] as subject. The deadline for applications is 09 September 2021.
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Only applicant who meets the above qualification will be considered.
From 28.08.2021 to 09.09.2021